POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : rules violations in 'architecture' round : Re: rules violations in 'architecture' round Server Time
1 Jun 2024 10:03:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rules violations in 'architecture' round
From: Warp
Date: 1 May 2003 18:31:45
Message: <3eb1a04e@news.povray.org>
Tek <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> Yeah I checked that before resizing one of my entries a while ago, and no-one
> complained. Okay you can argue that resizing it is post-processing, but there
> are some 3D rendering systems that acheive anti-aliasing by simply rendering to
> a larger image then resizing it down.

  I started once a thread about resizing of IRTC entries here and the IRTC
admins all agreed that it's ok.
  I disagree with them, but there's nothing I can do about it.

  As far as I can understand the purpose of the contest and the rules is
to show what a renderer can create. Post-processing is not allowed because
then it wouldn't be solely the product of a renderer. The idea is to show
the "raw" quality and features of the renderer, not some painting program.

  The reason I disagree with the IRTC admins is that allowing resizing as
a post-processing stage can noticeably increase the visual quality of an
image. This means that the final image is not the sole product of the
renderer, but it has been enhanced by other means afterwards. The final
image is not something the renderer (by itself) is able to create.
  In my opinion, this violates the idea of the IRTC rules.

  (Naturally if the resizing trick is done by the renderer *itself* then
it's ok, because then it *is* something the renderer itself can produce.)

  For example, blurring the image as a post-processing step is not
allowed according to the rules. It's thus odd that resizing is allowed,
as enhancing antialiasing is not too much different from blurring (even
the actual code to perform one is very similar to the other).